Vacancy Notice at JPO - Economic/Market Expert
EGNOS in Africa Support Programme II
Support to the Joint Programme Office
- Position information
3rd May 2019
Date for entry in duty
15th July 2019 (tentative)
National of African Union member States
EGNOS in Africa Support Programme II is supporting gender equality, and women and girl’s empowerment.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
- EGNOS in Africa Support Programme II
The EGNOS in Africa Support Programme II – Support to the Joint Program Office (JPO) (herein after referred to as the Programme) aims, over the time period October 2018 – October 2020, to consolidate the development and the adoption in Africa of satellite navigation and positioning services (GNSS) - satellite-based augmentation services (SBAS) included, in the frame of the Africa-EU Strategic Partnership, in line with the African Space Policy and Strategy, and in support to the Single African Air Transport Market (SAATM) of the African Union, advancing its Agenda 2063.
The Programme expected results include:
- Continuation of the institutionalisation of the JPO and of the development of its capacities and positioning
- Acceleration of the continental planning and development of GNSS services
- Continuation of the development of SBAS regional modules
- Support to the development of key cross-cutting enablers for the adoption and use of GNSS services and for the development of downstream markets
The achievement of the Programme objective, its expected results and the performance of its related activities, are entrusted to a pan-African project team of experts, the Joint Programme Office (JPO), which office is hosted by ASECNA in Dakar, Senegal.
The institutions benefiting from the Programme include the African Union Commission and its specialised agencies (including the African Civil Aviation Commission and the African Space Agency), the International Civil Aviation Organisation, the Arab Civil Aviation Commission and the Regional Economic Communities concerned. The final beneficiaries are the air companies, passengers and African citizens who will benefit from the positive economic and environmental impact of improved safety, air transport cost reduction and lower carbon emission.
The governance of the Programme is provided through a Steering Committee, co-chaired by the African Union Commission and the European Commission, and made up of representatives from the beneficiary institutions.
More background information on the Programme can be found on: www.egnos-africa.com
The Programme is seeking to recruit an Economic/Market Expert to complement the JPO team.
- Major duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will contribute to the implementation of the Programme to achieve its objective and expected results, by providing specialised economic expertise in the field of satellite navigation.
He/she will act as Economic/Market Expert within the JPO, under the guidance of Head, Legal and Economic Affairs, and will interact with all the other members of the JPO as well as with external organisations concerned with the implementation of the Programme.
The main responsibilities for the position will include:
- Contributing to the planning of and undertaking the JPO economic evaluation and impact assessment, econometry analysis and downstream market development activities, for the different GNSS user market segments (Aviation, maritime, rail, road, agriculture, location-based services, surveying, timing and synchronisation, drones)
- Undertaking the technology and sector watch, and research activities, in these domains
- Contributing to the GNSS-based applications development, promotion, capacity building and communication activities, from the economic perspective
- Liaising with the organisations cooperating with the JPO
- Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in economics or related field
- More than 5 years of professional experience in economic evaluation and impact assessment, econometry research and analysis, market development, with experience in:
- collecting and analysing quantitative data
- developing tools and models for analysis
- conducting studies and research on operational or regulatory issues
- developing policies, strategies and guidance
- drafting and reviewing complex programmatic documents
Desirable: experience in
- Transport (aviation, road, rail, maritime) and/or agriculture domains
- Development of data collection techniques and tools
- Adoption and use of satellite navigation and positioning services
- Providing service to international meetings, and managing technical groups, workshops and seminars
- Delivering capacity building and training activities
- Working with institutional stakeholders of Eastern and Southern Africa
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English
- Basic knowledge of French
- Experience in using computers, including latest digital communication and document production tools (e.g. office software, VoIP software)
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel or equivalent
- Autonomous in developing advanced digital content (e.g. text, tables, database) production
- to demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter, to work autonomously and confidentially, to be results driven, to make realistic commitments, to meet deadlines, to show persistence when faced with difficult situations or challenges, and to work under stressful situations
- to work in a multicultural environment, to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve project goals, to solicit input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise, to share credit for team accomplishments, and to accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- to speak and write clearly and effectively, to exhibit interest in having two-way communication, to address a wide audience, and to be eager to share information and to keep people informed.
- to take ownership of all responsibilities and honour commitments, to deliver outputs within prescribed time, cost and quality standards, and to operate in compliance with organisational regulations and rules.
- to take initiative, to offer new and different options to resolve problems, to promote and persuade others to consider new ideas, and to think "outside the box”.
- Conditions of employment
The post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis until the 14th October 2020. It can include a probation period of three (03) months.
Remuneration will be defined in accordance with the conditions applicable to the Programme and depending on the experience of the incumbent.
The type of employment contract may differ according to the status of the incumbent. This can include consultancy services provision contract or secondment from an administration or an organisation.
- Process of selection of candidates
A first round of selection of candidates will be compiled, based on assessment of the applications received. The short-listed candidates will be then invited for interviews through web-conference.
A second round of selection will follow, and the final candidates will be invited for interviews in Dakar, Senegal.
- How to apply
Interested candidates must complete an application dossier which shall include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)*
- Motivation letter
- Passport copy
- Certified copies of diploma(s)
- Recommendation letter(s) (optional)
The CV shall be completed using the template available here:
Instructions for filling the CV can be found here:
Example of filled CV can be found here:
Applications dossier shall be submitted electronically, by not later than 3rd May 2019 (18:00 UTC) to: email@example.com
The EGNOS in Africa Support Programme II reserves the right not to uphold the present vacancy notice.
--- END OF THE DOCUMENT ---